Friday, November 30, 2007

Being short

I just got back from a Ween show tonight. I didn't really know too much about them but I had a good time. They have more versatility than most bands I have heard: anything from rock to country, jazz, punk rock, jam-band, Irish folk, and all points in between. Plus, it was way better than the last show I saw at Higher Ground (Umphrey's McGee just didn't have it), even though the crowd seemed to disagree. But I feel like most people think that the band has so much energy and is playing such a killer show at most of the shows they go to. This is just not possible because some shows have to be better than others, energy can be faked, and the crowd even more easily so. The only thing that really sucked about this show (besides a few terrible smelling people in the crowd) was the Security. Security is always annoying but this was really unwarranted. I was searched three times, had to bring back a bag of chips back, had to show my 21 wristband it seemed throughout the night, and was blocked several times.

I normally don't mind being short (besides feeling weird around tall girls) but one place I can't stand it is at shows. I am all the more aware of it and I always have a hard time standing over people. I'm not asking tall people to break their backs but when security guards on several occasions excused themselves to get by me and then simply stopped directly in front of me you would think they would know that all I could see was the back of their necks. And if I say anything I look like a cranky small guy. So I just sit there and take it making faces at any one next to me who is observing this atrocity. If I was really tall I would make an effort every once in awhile. I know if you're reading this you're probably thinking that no one cares about any body else at shows but that's not true of me. I even offered any one who wanted a ride back to downtown after the show because it was poring and I believe in the concept of pay it forward.
(actually the reality is that at the last show no one would help my friend and I out with a ride so I felt I had to make up for this. But Pay it Forward is still a good idea (check out Wikipedia if you don't know what this is)

1 comment:

Spencetron said...

I can imagine that being short sucks a lot in certain situations. Take for example UA basketball games: everybody is standing the whole time. I love it cause the energy level gets about a million times higher, but I also try and be courteous to people behind me by not wearing my traditional Uncle Sam top hat when I go to games ,although i feel naked without it.