Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Best Show East of the Mississippi


So this post has been a long time coming and obviously long over due. This picture is from my recent trip back to Burlington for my dad's surprise 60th Birthday. Some times it is scary when I think about how we are all getting older and then I remember that I am still 23, and that's pretty good. I met this street performer on Church Street during Jazz Fest who claimed, when I asked if his show was any good (I have this terrible problem that I inherited from my father if asking if things are good in situations where the answer is that they obviously have to be good), that it "is the best show East of the Mississippi" - well this claim was incredible enough that I had to ask to get my picture taken with him. Unfortunately I missed the show so I will never know if it was truly better than some of those shows just west of the Mississippi, like in Cape Girardeau Missouri.

I did get to do some cliff jumping with my friend Joey and that is always a blast despite my fear of heights-I will never jump the 76er but the 35 is still pretty high at Red Rocks - I highly suggest it (see below for random youtube video of random kids jumping off some unspecified height at Red Rocks - come on give me some credit, I'm trying to incorporate some more media in to this thing). Another highlight, I don't like to brag, but what the hell I will, was beating my older brother and father in golf - although it was his birthday so I kind of felt bad, but I played the round of my life and am now thoroughly addicted - it's a shame I chose one of the most pricy sports on the world to be addicted to. Yet another highlight would have been Free Cone Day at Friendly's (Friendly's is paying me hundreds of dollars to mention them in my prestigious blog) but sadly when we arrived minutes after the 5 pm deadline they wouldn't give us a free cone even though they were still selling cones. It's a small thing, but this type of customer service goes a long way and their whole generous free cone day thing comes off as kind of half ass this way too. What's even worse than this type of thing is when the video store is already closed when you get there 10 minutes before closing. My dad use to say that my grandfather would come back and open the store up again for people who would come even 30 minutes late to our family business: Lynn Lumber (does this make up for my link to Friendly's?) I sort of wish we operated on the same clock that they did in Cameroon when I was there - what ever you feel like and when ever. Although I guess this did create massive problems most of the time.

1 comment:

Spencetron said...

I thought the big sausage pizza was the best show east of the Mississippi?