Friday, March 22, 2013

Communication

I often find the communication in East Africa pretty different than back home. Working here can be a challenge because answers are not always as direct. Here's a good recent example from a Gchat with a co-worker in Uganda:


martin:  Hi
 Sent at 3:47 PM on Thursday
 me:  Hi Martin, how are you? Please remind me which Martin you are! There are so many.
Kampala based?
 Sent at 3:48 PM on Thursday
 martin:  Ok
 me:  So you are the Kampala TDR or area sales manager? or a different Martin?
 martin:  Ok
 Sent at 3:54 PM on Thursday
 me:  Ok what? Are you confirming or saying no?
 martin:  Yes
 Sent at 3:57 PM on Thursday
 martin:  Andrew am Martin.Fenix
Area Sales Manager
How's Rwanda?

1 comment:

ASK said...

Amazing post expanding on communication here, or "real" talk as my friend Jenn call's it:
http://schmirby.wordpress.com/2013/04/29/real-talk/