Monday, October 22, 2007

Traveling and New Baby

So I am now an uncle: again. Born yesterday at 9.4 pounds in the early morning, I have a new niece: Sara-Havah (http://esther.rosi-kessel.org/). I did not get to see my first niece until months after she was born. This was a weird experience and kind of scary because it made me think of having my own baby.

I haven't had the chance to blog in awhile because I've been traveling quite a bit. Coincidentally, I was probably not too far from Jacobs field when the Sox were there last weekend and last night two hours before the game visiting the hospital we actually drove right by Fenway. Pretty frustrating considering I couldn't go see any of the games. Only at the lovely Metrodome are the tickets cheap enough that I have been able to see some play off games.

Last weekend I drove to NYC to visit some friends and to pick up a friend to drive to Pittsburgh with me. Every time I go to New York I have mixed feelings. Coming from a small place like Vermont, I'm always impressed that the big lights and huge skyscrapers are only 5-6 hours away. But then again, I'm driving, which is nice until you get anywhere near New York and then it's brutal. I still don't understand why I sat in 2 hours of traffic at 10 on Thursday night. I also hate how every one is trying to scam you and get your money there (making any less than 500,000 and you are considered lower-class). I had a real New York day there while waiting for my friend at the New School. I got a free shave and a massage from some nice girls who directed me in to their shaving van (they were on Segways...Dave Arbit and I once proposed we take a Segway tour of the Twin Cities), I then listened to a lunch-time Bach cathedral performance, saw some people modeling on the street, listened to an author talk at Barnes & Noble, and met up and had lunch with a different friend. That type of day makes me want to move there and I might if I find a job there (although I would probably not survive very long in that city).

I then went to Pittsburgh, another 6 hour drive and met up with our friends the University there. It was my first time at Pitt. It's actually a pretty cool town even though it seems everyone is just paying their dues until they can leave the place. Just as would be suggested geographically, it's kind of a mix of St. Paul and an East Cost city. I could see how Pitt. would be a fun kind of grimy city to live in. Check out the "Cathedral of Learning" at the University, it's really crazy and strange that I had never heard of it.
http://www.getting-to-the-point.com/graphics/photos/economy_4.jpg
Anyways, I'm back home now and pretty excited that the Sox are going to the World Series. Time to resume looking for work and being bored...stay posted

3 comments:

Unknown said...

She's now "Sara Havah."

Unknown said...

Also, it's Barnes and Noble.

Spencetron said...

Wreck, I got a job for the summer time. Not quite enough to make me an upper-class new yorker, but i'll be handsomely compensated for looking handsome. Just like you!