Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Year's Resolution: No more cheeseburgers?

After a short hiatus from blogging I am back. I just came back from L.A. where I saw some MAC friends and went to a Jewish retreat about an hour and a half north of L.A.. I know what people are thinking: I went to some brainwashing weird religious thing. But it wasn't like that. Besides it being a really good vacation (although California wasn't very warm), I learned a lot and had a good time. We played paint ball and did some rope's course stuff, which I'm into, and then we had some good discussions about religion. While I was not brought up religious, I decided I needed to learn some more and figure out what I want to do with it in life. We talked about more academic discussion topics like Jewish history, the decline in our numbers, intermarriage, etc. and we also talked about more religious things like latkes and dreidels, no not really, but things like why Judaism is different, living ethically, how you should judge some one (actually: how to be a mench), why being more observant can bring meaning to your life, and how exactly people who eat cheeseburgers can go cold turkey. While I am not going to become orthodox or anything now, I think celebrating the Shabbas (even if that means just lighting candels and eating dinner with family) once a week might be nice and maybe I should try dating a Jewish girl for once.

I finally got a job after 3 1/2 months of frustration. I am going to be selling natural food products at a fair trade company called Equal Exchange. It is a little bit outside Boston but I am planning on moving there in the next few weeks to start in February. It was such a relief to finally get some thing interesting with a useful purpose. More on this later...

Lastly, I spent a weird New Years bouncing around the city (N.Y.C.). I was trying to make it to a party right when the ball was dropping but didn't realize that you can't move within a 10 mile radius of Time Square. Now normally I would never do any thing as stupid as go to Time Square to see the ball drop on New Years but this was even more idiotic. I spent the precise moment of 2007 becoming 2008 looking up at some scaffolding squeezed between a few million people I didn't know joking about no of us could move. At least it seemed like a fitting ending to a year that I was all too excited to end.

No comments: