Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Chariots of Fire


the infamous baobab tree of Senegal


Things have started heating up here in Senegal with the election getting closer. So not only do I have to worry about this broken knee, I have to worry about what I’m going to do if there’s a riot near me and I have to run. All of that until today actually, when I found out from NCBA (the National Co-operative Business Association -the people that sponsored my trip) that I am being pulled from the country and need to get out Friday before the election Sunday.

For some reason a bunch of people have the Chariots of Fire Ring tone, all the news stations and radio continually play Chariots of Fire. I’m pretty sure they have no idea that it’s from the film and it’s even more funny when you understand that apparently this is like the country’s theme song whenever tension’s are arising (I can’t tell if it’s a joke?) But even in Kaolack it's been getting ugly.

A few nights ago I went to a political rally of one of the leading candidates (this was a stupid idea given the current state of affairs and my non-mobile self). Riots were also happening and it was kind of a crazy seen. People had lit some tires on fire and blocked road access, as several people had been killed by the police earlier in the day. Meanwhile the political "show" or rally was happening and the crowd was enormous, people running in every direction and I really had no idea what was going on. It was still cool to witness this cultural event though at least of the procession of speakers, dancers, music, and Macky Sall speaking

The other funny thing, is amiss all of the rioting and violence there’s been here, you still see two men walking down the street holding hands, which really is just a difference in our respective cultures, but it’s still hard not to imagine this being a very peaceful place as a result, and it is usually people tell me. If shit goes down Sunday (Election day) Senegal will lose it’s status of being one of the few African countries that has never had any truly violent transitions of power since the age of the colonial powers (I put some links below here about the news).

On very unrelated notes, I keep forgetting to give my key to the front desk when I leave the hotel. Not only is the key huge, but it took me 3 days to figure out that the cleaning people had no way to get into the room if I took the key! I've also been eating lunches in the villages where we are doing trainings (more on this and some pics to come soon) out of one large bowl together and using your hands (and people ripping larger pieces of meat with their hands for the group) - which doesn't bother me that much, but I think it would for a lot of Americans. Ok that's enough non-sequitur stuff, I'll post again soon before they ship me off hopefully.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17107167

http://www.usatoday.com/video/senegal-police-teargas-dakar-opposition-protest/1465565739001

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/audioconsole/?stream=africa_mix

No comments: