Monday, February 13, 2012

Senegal

So it's about time I put this blog back to work, god knows it's been awhile since that last stupid post about a mustache, a chicken, and a Yamaka - just kidding, except about the mustache part.

Anyways, I've embarked on another adventure here- to do some co-operative development volunteer work with some millet farmers here in Senegal. Just arrived but some highlights/low-lights:
1. 2.5 hour flight Portland - Salt Lake yesterday morning. 10 + hour flight to Paris overnight, after a 5 hour lay-over there a short 5.5 hour flight to Dakar and here I am, wow that was tiring
2. Besides the normal screaming babies during the flights, we picked up a French Senegalese prisoner in Paris who would not stop screaming "The plain must not take off!" (in French) for the first 30 minutes of being on the plane (made me really want to go to Senegal). He only stopped when he was drugged by one of the five police man accompanying us. Pretty strange right? Apparently immigration was transferring him to a Senegalese prison, I suppose I'd probably be screaming non-stop as well if that were happening to me
3. Leaving Leopold Sedar Senghor airport and having to go through the metal detectors to leave the airport was strange. Then the usual crowd flooding in to grab bags, get you a taxi, and forcing themselves near so even as you walk you can't get away. I looked for someone I was told would pick me up called Yaguemar and of course everyone told me they were called Yaguemar. But which one was the real Yaguemar? The one holding a sign for me of course.
4. Getting in the car that picked me up and getting scrambled radio that somehow resulted in a mash up of "Gangsta's Paradise" and Dido's "Thank You" while riding the crazy streets of Dakar.

I'll fill folks in as things actually happen


4 comments:

Mayo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mayo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew! What a strange beginning. Its good for reading but must have kind of thrown you off kilter. Or were you able to roll with it. I like that you could recognize the music playing in the car. Nice details. will read more.

ASK said...

I always try to roll with the punches. Thanks dude - who is this by the way (Beneb)?