Friday, August 16, 2013

Better grab an umbrella

I am back in the North of Uganda for work and enjoying myself. But it’s always music that triggers the strangeness of the situations I sometimes find myself in; whether it be an old forgotten Salt & Pepper hit, classic French hits in Rwanda, or something else. This time it was riding in the back of a cargo vehicle with local staff from several different NGO’s on our way to visit a very large SACCO (Savings and Credit Cooperative Organizations) when "Make it Rain" by Lil. Wayne came booming into my life. It’s been days since I've heard that one and I think my fellow passengers just enjoyed the beat and didn't try too hard to interpret the lyrics. I may have continued eating the raw cassava and sugar cane, chewing and spitting everywhere and making a mess in the car with this foreign group (as that’s how it is with those items), and not thinking anything odd about the moment, if it hadn't been for that song. It’s as if the out-of-place American gangster rap brings me back to the fact that me, as a White (Mazungu), am also totally out-of-place. 


No comments: