Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Back to UG

I'm back in Uganda now after a trying but interesting five days stuck in Rome. With my work just finished I took off to explore the beautiful and mountainous Western Uganda. I'll be posting hopefully somewhat regularly about my journey's as I plan to make my way around East Africa.

I started with Western Uganda because I had't been there and had been meaning to check it out when a nice opportunity came along to join two Canadian friends I had met from frisbee. People seem surprised sometimes to see these two nationalities traveling together which kind of surprised me. It's not like Canada and the U.S. don't like each other, it's just that everyone likes Canadians more.

I know there is something to traveling alone but I really prefer to enjoy experiences with others and I often push myself more when traveling with others...Such to the point that one day last week I found myself with these two Canucks in the middle of a jungle stranded in the rain. We had purposefully stranded ourselves in the naive hope that we would find chimps and avoid paying the $150 (tourism in Africa is really $$) chimp treccking fee. We had't planned for rain, especially only 5 minutes in, and after hiding under a tree for 10-15 min. and realizing it did very little to protect us as the rain only got harder and harder we started hitchhiking. By the time we got picked up we were soaked and shivering

Chimps - 1
Humans - 0

This is where we smartly decided to get off the matatu


One of the dozens of amazingly beautiful crater lakes of Western Uganda 


Duncan the Canadian with a Warthog at our campsite that we were told was "habituated to humans"

Queen Elizabeth national park boat cruise with the buffalo


No comments: