Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Gotta get outta here

After losing my job in Uganda I felt like it was time to move on. But I also was looking to escape so I chose nearby Kenya, as a place I've yet to really explore.

I was escaping from the mosquitos of the living room of my old Kampala house where I no longer had a room and tried sleeping on the couch...From the racist lady who charged me the same price for a fish as the local customer next to me who also got unsolicited sweet potato when I got nothing despite having asked for some sides...From the thief who took my favourite Equal Exchange hoodie...From the feeling of being stuck after 4 days in Gulu trying to sell my furniture to the same interested and broke potential customers (this describes 90% of the people there)...and from the peanut guy.

So I am a bit embarrassed about this but here goes: I've developed a pet peeve here of people sitting behind or in front of me on a bus reaching over my shoulder without asking to control my window. Almost always it's someone closing my window when I want it open. I think also when the temperature reaches 60 or below here people start feeling freezing, especially with the nice cool breeze that comes through while baking in the sun. Coming back from Gulu when this happened this week I just decided I had enough. So I turned to the huge Ugandan guy sitting behind me and asked him why he couldn't just ask me before invading my personal space and closing my window which I was busy throwing peanut shells through. But there was no conversation to be had, he just laughed at me, which of course just further infuriated me. So I took the peanut shells and threw them at him and asked him how he liked it. Well apparently not very much as things escalated quickly me and a scene developed with half the bus' attention now on us. He threatened to hit me and I yelled back that he should and it would be great to get him kicked off the bus. Eventually things settled down but we were both on edge for the rest of the 4-5 hour bus ride remaining.  

So hopefully I won't see peanut man again, the bosses of my company, or really any other undesirables while in Kenya. First stop the hustling, bustling city of Nairobi, a meer 14 hour bus ride. I'm not that interested in Nairobi, or "Nairobberie" as many refer to it so I'll probably just pass through after getting some rest. Then the plan is to do another 8-10 hours on a bus to reach Mombasa on the coast, stay tuned.

Teaching frisbee to 3 year old Bradley, son of couch surfing host Eric in Nairobi Kenyans

My Gulu friend James and me testing out my new Assus tablet‘s backwards facing camera

No comments: