Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Return to Trainwreck

For those of you that may not know, my nickname in college was Trainwreck. Literally everyone called me that, even people I didn't know. Sometimes people didn't even know my real name. It was a loveable and fun nickname and not mean, but I was kind of a trainwreck so it made sense. I remember my father Herb not being so happy about it and trying to correct people when they called out my name when he came to visit for graduation. I thought I had really worked on myself and shed this reputation since College but now I am starting to wonder -once a trainwreck always a trainwreck?

I recently posted on Facebook that on my last day in Africa I was robbed. The true story, although I didn't know it at the time, is that three days before I left Africa I was robbed. Perhaps I shouldn't count my eggs before they hatch but I am now flying Friday after missing my flight today. Americans assume 1:30 is during the day but most of the rest of the world knows that's the morning (night). Because of this I don't have the required time even for a rush Visa to China as I prepare to visit my brother Saturday. And that is not a country I think you can just show up cracking Jewish jokes to break the ice. So now I find myself in a Shakespearian comedy of error of sorts, or is it Lemony Snicket's series of Unfortunate Events? I can't remember which one it is but I do feel like I am hitting a new low, or regaining my former glory of my college "Trainwreck" days depending on how you look at it.

That moment where you feel like you really need to get it together, and nothing can go right is actually right now. It's actually getting comical. Today at the internet cafe my tablet charger was stolen from right in front of me. This, just a few weeks ago I got water on my tablet and nearly broke it. Besides all of this, I've previously had a Universal adaptor, sweet hoodie, sunglasses, and two external hard drives stolen as well as lost a nice portable speaker, cool water bottle, and about a dozen other items that at this point I've lost track of. I also spilled water and broke an expensive wireless keyboard and got caught in a tropical downpour which ruined my passport and cost me $150 to get a new emergency passport. Yes, I am once again "Trainwreck." Is any of this interesting to anyone? Probably not, but it makes me feel better listing it all out for some reason and continuing to put myself down.

But I've had some crazy African adventures once again and much to be thankful for really. If you can call it Africa,  Capetown was one of my favorite cities I've ever been to - really beautiful with mountains, oceans, and lots of great outdoor activities. Besides trying paragliding for my first time (something I'll never forget), I saw penguins, and went to a great superhero party. After a quick stop over in Kigali, Rwanda, I came back to Uganda to complete what's coming up to a year in Africa.

But back to the series of errors and return to Trainwreck. The story of how I was robbed earlier this week is kind of interesting. I was sitting on a matatu (taxi-bus) sharing the front seat with a "passenger," the driver, and the conductor behind me. These three were all working in cahoots. I first thought it took them three attempts to pickpocket me and I had put up some defense. I later realized each time they asked me to get out, help close the stubborn broken door, lift up the seat cushion (?), and move for the other passenger (they guy sitting between me and the driver) to get out (and then mysteriously get right back on), were all distractions to open and steal the contents from my backpack and pockets. Despite the fact that I figured out something was wrong as I felt my empty pockets and they dropped me off and told me not to worry about paying, I couldn't catch them as they kicked me off and drove away. As I yelled at them they did for some reason they conceded my wallet and lied that my phone was just on the ground below where I dropped it - that split second of looking down is actually what let them get away in the end. The crazy thing with all of this is that it was a full matatu, probably 10 or so people, and none of them said anything or thought it was strange that the vehicle pulled over for no apparent reason three times and then threw the White guy out in a totally random spot.

Kampala is one of these places you can love, hate, or love to hate and at times it's been all three for me. I simultaneously feel very angry about the robbers and admire their cleverness and deceit. Most of us think we are too clever or alert to be robbed, it's just not true. The worst part is that these Ugandans were so friendly, nice, and humorous throughout the robbery. This should not surprise me, Ugandans are a funny bunch.

Looking particularly Jewish and "Jesus" like in this selfie before my beard/hair trimming this week. By the way, did you know "selfie" was the Oxford dictionary's word of the year? Beating out Twerking by just a few votes. Who decides these things anyways?

Going way party


"Hey Jesus! Send my greetings to God," someone said to me in Luganda (later translated to English) for actually the second time this week. Ugandans will make you laugh - they are not shy about yelling absurd things at people, especially White people, or especially White people running. I complained to a Boda Boda moto taxi last week who argued he should be paid more because we got lost that it was his fault since I had informed him about the sign where we needed to turn that we missed. He retorted: "don't you know most Boda Boda don't know how to read?" Touche Mr. Boda Boda man, I conceeded to the higher price. Oh Uganda I will miss you and your clever deceit. I won't miss being a Trainwreck.

No comments: