Saturday, April 29, 2017

Time

So we are about one month into young Helena's life and things are going pretty well. It has been an adjustment and it's not easy maintaining a proper work/life balance even with Maya being off. It seems like I never have time to get anything done that isn't purely survival based. The I-85 bridge collapse has been awful. I think I may have, or should have, 20 minutes before work starts but then I get there just as work is starting or even late (for my first time ever to Dunwoody) because of the crazy traffic jams -as if Atlanta wasn't bad enough.

Lately, with tennis end of the year banquet, the French visiting, and lots of stuff going on at school, I'm often getting home after 8 with little to not time to hang with Helena. Sometimes, I'm just trying to get her to go to bed so I can do a little work, or so I can go to bed early but frustratingly none of those things happen. There's no predicting the babies reactions at this point and sometimes you can spend hours just trying to calm her down. It's tiring work and I am nervous for this summer when Maya and I switch roles.

Surprisingly (by definition also) Maya threw me a surprise birthday last weekend. It was really fun and nice to see so many people, friends I often don't get a chance to see anymore. It's especially impressive given how much attention Helena needs and for her to be preparing this party. It was a nice turn out with a crazy assortment of people in my life including Haig from Cameroun, Marc, the visiting teacher from France, old frisbee and soccer friends, teacher friends, neighbors, and others that we know.

This time of year is always hard, but just one month to push through until the end of the year. Thank God for weekends


Surprise! 


No comments: