Thursday, November 14, 2013

I'll order it from Zanzibars!

(Bonus if you get where the title of this post comes from)
My path of travel over the last 4 or 5 weeks looks like this. It's been a crazy fun few weeks.

I'll be heading to South Africa next. It's been a good experience and couch surfing is surprisingly awesome really. I'm now in Zanzibar enjoying the amazing beaches and interesting blend of Swahili, Indian, and Arab cultures. It's incredible but even my couch surfing host Gabriel gets lost walking in Stone town with me, the main part of the Island and where the boats from Dar bring you. It's a bit strange considering Gabriel grew up here and knows the place so well but that's how confusing Stone town is, there's so many alleyways and alternative routes that even after years you can't know them all!

Besides getting lost in Stone town I've seen beaches that you'd think you'd only find in movies and I've eaten some nice Swahili food. In fact, at Forodhani Gardens vendors set up "pop up" restaurants every night with an amazing variety of goods. The different vendors share grills and it's very unclear who actually owns any of the businesses as different workers seem to appear every few minutes behind different counters. This is on top of the fact there's at least 3 sugarcane water people, 7 Swahili Pizza makers, 7 kebab BBQ places, and many other of the same type of thing over and over (see first pic. below).

The only down moment came on day 1 when my couch surfing host Gabriel and I saw a guy getting kicked pretty hard on the ground by someone authoritative in uniform along with two guys who just looked like civilians. It's unclear exactly what happened but I later found out the guy had been trying to sell something in a spot where that wasn't allowed (hasn't that not usually stopped other Africans also)? Gabriel caught the whole thing on camera but they caught him and took his phone away. He had to fight to get it back and delete the pictures. It was scary seeing police brutality in a place like Zanzibar.

Forodhani Gardens Night Market

Beautiful beaches of Zanzibar

Dar Es Salaam, biggest city in Tanzania as seen from my ferry

Giant turtles shipped to Zanzibar from the Seychelles as a gift long ago

Couch surfing host Gabriel in Zanzibar. Zanzibar, like Dar Es Salaam are predominantly Muslim


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice!! I seriously can not wait to go to Zanzibar :) !!

Xx Sky